Unemployment in the U.S. is lowest since 1969

The unemployment rate in the U.S. is at 3.6%, the lowest since 1969.

Josiah Weed, Writer

As of September 2019, Unemployment rates in the U.S.  have been the lowest they have been since December 1969, reports say.

The average percentage of Americans who are unemployed is currently around 3.6%. According to the White House’s official website, the unemployment rate is “…the lowest unemployment rate since December 1969, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ (BLS) household survey,”. September was the 19th consecutive month with the unemployment rate below 4%.

“…158,000 jobs per month so far in 2019.”

Starting in 2010 availability for jobs has slowly been on the rise. This has caused unemployment rates to drop. According to the White House’s website, we have seen “…158,000 jobs per month so far in 2019”. Last year there was an increase of 173,000 jobs a month.

Since President Donald Trump has been in office the number of available jobs has risen by over 6.4 million percent. That’s more than the population of South Carolina and Rhode Island combined. 

A graph of unemployment rates from The Gold Alliance Capital.

Also since President Donald Trump was put into office the gap of people unemployed who didn’t have a high school diploma and people with a bachelor’s degree has shortened to 2.8%. That is the lowest percentage seen in the study. In November of 2016 (When President Donald Trump was elected), the percentage of high schoolers who had not gotten a high school diploma and was unemployed was 7.8%. As of October 2019, it has fallen to 4.8%. This is the lowest it has been since 1992 when the study series was started. The unemployment rate for people with a bachelor’s degree has also been slowly dropping.

Including the education gap, there have been several other areas that the unemployment rate has dropped.

The African American unemployment rate dropped to 5.5%. This is the lowest it has been since the study started in 1972.

The Hispanic unemployment rate did the same. It dropped to 4.2%, which matched the previous record.

Women set an unemployment rate record of 3.1%. This is the lowest it has been since 1953.

During the recession of 2008, unemployment spiked. It went up all through the recession and it capped off in 2010. Since then it has been slowly going back down.

When Donald Trump was elected as the United State’s President unemployment rates started to drop even more rapidly. By 2019, four years into his first term, the unemployment rates were at an all-time low. They set or matched records all over the board (Caucasians, African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Disabled Americans).

These are caused by a strengthening labor market. These low numbers are expected to stay the same if not lower throughout the year.