Staff Shortage affects ILHS

Students and staff feel impact

Staff Shortage affects ILHS

Sophia Wagner, Cub Reporter

Indian Land High School continues to press ahead despite a shortage of staff throughout the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year.

Out of 13 current openings, three are for teachers, one is for an instructional assistant, seven for coaches, one for a long-term sub, and one for a cafeteria operator. The shortage is due in part to the 20% growth rate of the student body this school year, according to Dr. Shamble, principal of ILHS. three are for teachers, one is for an instructional assistant, seven for coaches, one for a long-term sub, and one for a cafeteria operator.

“We try to anticipate growth during the budget process, but that happens from January through March, typically, and then we post new positions at that time,” Shamble says.

The shortages have affected students and teachers alike.

Because of the substitute shortages, teachers have had to fill in for other teachers who are out; this can affect the amount of free time the teacher has, giving them less time to prepare their lessons, grade papers, make parent and student contacts, and even eat lunch.

“You miss that time to plan, and so I always feel a little behind that day, and I stay really late trying to catch up after school,” says ILHS art teacher, Deborah Birosik.

There have been recent hirings of both a nurse and tardy administrator. 

The nurse, Carolyn Ingram was hired September 13th. Administrative assistant Heather Breedlove was hired September 20th to help with attendance and monitoring tardies.

Out of the three teaching positions available there is one for art, one for American Sign language, and one for special education. 

Out of the seven coaching positions there is one for boys soccer, one for women’s JV soccer, one for assistant varsity football, one for B team basketball, one for JV volleyball, one for women’s track and field coach, and one for a wrestling coach.