Comfort Closet Comes to ILHS

Hygiene items, school supplies, clothes, and snacks now available for all students

Sophia Wagner, Cub Reporter

The Comfort Closet has come to Indian Land High School for the 2021-2022 school year with the help of Taylor Petrosino, We the People, Interact Club, and administration.

Petrosino, the creator of We the People, worked with said club and the Interact Club to make the Comfort Closet possible. The goal is to give all students at ILHS access to items they need, like hygiene items, coats, snacks, and school supplies, all of which were donated by students and teachers.

“I’m also in Interact Club, and I knew that they were looking for an October service project, so I proposed the idea to Mr. Cutrone and Interact Club’s President, Iris Chen, and the club approved it. From there, We The People and Interact Club worked together to start collecting the items and stocking the closet,” Petrosino says.

Petrosino has been working with the clubs that she’s involved with to develop the Comfort Closet since the beginning of October, and it has been available now, for multiple weeks. 

“She is, in my opinion, one of the best things to happen to this school,” Armah Shiancoe, advisor of the We the People stated.

Shiancoe continues by saying, “Taylor is one person that regardless of how much it takes to get something going, as long as she knows that it’s a need and that it’s gonna benefit students she sacrifices, in more ways than anybody that I’ve come across, including adults, to help to make things happen.”

The idea of the Comfort Closet came from Petrosino doing research on the concept of having items that students need, available in school and she ended up finding other schools that were doing similar things and called it the “Comfort Closet”. 

Now, thanks to Taylor Petrosino, We the People, Interact club, and the staff at Indian Land High School, we have a place where students can have the items they need.