Winter Sports Coming to a Start

Basketball, Wrestling Previews

Cole Dombkowski, Cub Reporter

With the fall coming to an end, winter sports are starting up here at Indian Land High School. 

Basketball tryouts are starting the month of November, and the wrestling team is coming together. Coaches Nate Smith of boys basketball, David Johnson of girls basketball, and Flip Sheesley of wrestling will hold tryouts and prepare for the 2021-2022 season with wrestling state champ Dylan Layton looking to defend his state championship. 

BASKETBALL

For boys basketball, tryouts are November 1st and 2nd, and Coach Smith, head coach , is looking forward to the season. The first scrimmage is November 12th and the first game is November 29th. They have a month to prepare before their season starts. 

“Heart, players that want to play for the jersey name on the front and not the name on the back,” Smith said about what he is looking for in players. 

He wants his players to work hard not only at practice but outside of practice so that his team could improve and win more games. 

“If you dont try your hardest every single day or you will never get the results you desire,”Jacob Christiansen a freshman basketball player said. 

Girls basketball is starting soon too and Coach Johnson is planning tryouts and the way he coaches is a little different. 

He wants his players to work hard, have plenty of energy and add their best value to the team with their strengths. He will look for these traits in players to help him choose the best players for his team. 

“Tryouts will look just like a regular practice. We will do some of the things we do all season. This way we can find who we can add alongside the core group we have,” said Johnson. 

WRESTLING

Wrestling coach Flip Sheesley and his team are looking to win and compete at a high level. Dylan Layton is also looking to defend his state title this year. They are going to get a lot more games this year compared to last.

“Coming off a Covid year where we didn’t get but 7 matches it was a little challenging to get matches lined up again due to precautionary issues. We are 90% completed with our 21-22 schedule and hope to have it completed in the next couple days,” Sheesley said. 

Last year they only got to play 7 matches, but they still had success having many runner ups for state and Dylan Layton won the state championship. They have scheduled a few tournaments, including a tournament in Mobile, Alabama called Gulf Coast Clash and another one in Charlotte called Holy Angels.