13th Annual Strawberry Festival

13th Annual Strawberry Festival

Valentina Bedoya, Cub Reporter

The annual Fort Mill Strawberry Festival took place May 7 at the Walter Y. Elisha Park near downtown Fort Mill. 

While the events started on April 29th and went through May 5th, the festival itself was this last weekend. 

The events prior to the festival included the Poster Unveiling and Little Miss Pageant on the 29th, the Teen Miss Pageant,  the Strawberry Sprint and Roll, the Strawberry Scavenger Hunt, Strawberry Doggie Fashion Show, and Strawberry Snowcone Day on the 30th. On May 1st, the Strawberry Festival Brunch was held, on the 2nd we had the Strawberry Baby Photo Contest, on the 3rd was the golf tournament. On the 4th and 5th was the Downtown Strawberry Jam and the Strawberry Idol. 

“The strawberry guy, the vendors, and being able to build connections with my community were the best parts of going to the strawberry festival.”, says Indian Land student Addison Reginato.

The festival had originally been scheduled to start on Friday, May 6th but due to incoming bad weather it was delayed. 

“I hung out with my friends because her family had a booth. It had henna,  and samosas.. We went on the ferris wheel, and I bought jewelry.” says Keerthana Nair, ILHS student. 

The festival had wrestling shows, food trucks, amusement rides, a car show, pig racing, fireworks, and many other fun activities. 

The food trucks ranged from tacos to snow cones to smoothies and pizza. There was a total of 42 food vendors at the festival. 

“I did a shoot for blabbermouth, the school’s fashion magazine, and I looked at some of the shops. It was really fun.” says ILHS Moe Miller. 

The festival included every kind of vendor, there were companies advertising their products, homemade soaps and lotions, book sellers, handmade jewelry. There were a total of 190 vendors at the festival.