Dead Shark Hung at Florida High School

Dead Shark Hung at Florida High School

Artie Mahase, Cub Reporter

Senior pranks leaves dissected, dead shark hanging from Florida high school. 

Thursday morning, May 5, left students and administration of Ponte Vedra High in St. John County finding a dead shark hanging from their stairwell and was said to be a senior prank as sharks are the school mascots of the high school. 

According to News4Jax, five pupils were spotted on security video lifting the shark. The FWC and the local sheriff’s office are presently investigating the prank.

Photos were taken as the gutted shark hung from the ceiling. The shark hung from a ceiling that was a “pretty major spot” in the school. 

Custodians were able to remove the shark.

Wildlife specialists believe that this may be a sandbar shark. The sandbar shark is a prohibited species in Florida. 

The St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office and Florida Fish and Wildlife are also looking into the incident; however, no suspects have been identified.

Students of the high school are very confused on how a shark of such size could even be carried and hung at the top of the staircase. 

“It’s kind of gruesome. I’ll be honest. That’s a pretty big shark too,” Julian Chandlee, a junior said. 

No students expected to see something this Jurassic at a small high school senior prank.

“I was going to the first period, and there was this massive shark hanging from the ceiling, and it smelled really bad,” sophomore Cooper Gottfried said. 

Even the wildlife specialists were shocked.

“‘How did you get that up there?’” “Those sharks are massive,” Dr. Jim Gelsleichter, associate professor of zoology at the University of North Florida said.

Students who are discovered to have been part of the event may face suspension or perhaps expulsion and may also face criminal charges.