Plagiarism Policy

Mario Rivera, Senior Writer

Plagiarism is the practice of taking someone else’s work or ideas and passing them off as one’s own. Students could be punished for this action. It doesn’t always have to do with harming when it comes to receiving consequences. This falls in the category of stealing. If one claims a piece of work who belongs to someone else, they are taking credit from the real artist or author.

In high school, this can go as far as suspension. Usually, a student won’t receive the credit for their assignment. This is only the high school policy. In the real world, people could lose a lot of money and even go to prison. It’s just like impersonating someone. You are taking their identity and using their reputation. Others possible sources are pictures, photographs, music, internet sources, works of art, and the spoken word.

Someone could be skilled in creating music and decided to release an album. They might think about using a picture online as the album cover and then sell it. This is an example of plagiarism because they take credit for the artwork that doesn’t belong to him. That person could be sued for the attention he created of that artwork in his music. This is why it is a strict policy in high school. Create your own art, ask for permission, pay for use, and above all give the real artist or author their credit.

Plagiarism Policy