Role of Music on Students

School is 7 hours long, one quarter of a whole day, for five days a week.

Jaden Olivo, Staff Writer

It can be a stressful time, doing work and worrying about assignments, due dates, and social problems or drama. As a solution, putting on your earbuds and playing some of your favorite songs is a way to concentrate, blocking out all your problems and just helping you out. Music is an art, expressing moods and relating to what you want or how you feel, and helps bring a satisfaction of just great sounds we call sounds. Music is a very big part of student life and is an everyday part of life. According to ncu.edu, “Music activates both the left and right brain at the same time, and the activation of both hemispheres can maximize learning and improve memory.”

Since quite a few students in the school to listen to music, a few people were interviewed about their tastes in music and how much music means to them. I asked one student if music has a big role in their school life. He told me “Yes, music is always needed, every day, especially when I’m in school doing all this stuff”. I also asked him about his tastes in music, and he told me he listened to a mix of all things but “Punk Rock is my favorite genre, even though I love all types of rock.”

Many students also said the same about if music is important to their school life, but one of them said, “Music isn’t a big thing for me, I don’t mind listening to music but I can get by without it.” Also, most students asked out of the 8 people said rap was their favorite genre, but there was a mix of genres, varying from pop and old school rap, speed metal and some R&B. But the question that was the most interesting was “what would you do if you didn’t have music at school ever again.” A student replied with “I wouldn’t be able to do anything in life if I didn’t have music. All my achievements, grades, and being happy at school is from my earbuds.”

With that said, many students depend on music in school, because it’s a tool for motivation and relaxation. Music is and will always be apart of student life.