The New Indian Land High School

Set to open August 2020

Joshua McCall, Staff Writer

The new Indian Land high school is set to open for the 2020-2021 school year. The school will be able to hold 2,000 kids. Indian land high school right now has approximately 1,200 kids and is supposed to have 1,300 by the start of the 2019-20 school year. When the new school opens the old school will become a school for grades 7-8 middle school will be grades 5-6 and the elementary schools will be grades K-4. According to Jordan Phipps, “the contractors of the school have been working 10 hour days 6 days a week”. He also said, “The new high school along with the grade changes will help us with growth in the area’s student population. 

Cleveland Construction is the company that is building the new high school for Indian Land. The new school will be two-story 258,500. A 22,400 square foot career and technology center and a 17,500 square foot athletics house. The schools sits on 93 acres of land. The land will consist of a new high school building with associated complexes, campus, parking area, and sports fields. The new school has direct access to 521 and the property is large enough so if they need more room for growth in the future then they will have it. 

Many people have mixed reactions to what they think will happen when the new school is built, Some said that they were worried about the traffic it would bring. Some parents are worried that the new grade merges will not be great for kids. I interviewed a student at Indian Land High his name is Christian Stuart, he said that he is excited about the new school with all the new features that it is gonna have. He also feels like is moving up to a 4A school for athletes will bring us new challenges it will bring into our league. When I asked him about the grade merges he said that he did not support that he said that the elementary schoolers need to stay together and maybe just leave the 6th graders with the middle school all to themselves. So then I asked a parent her name was Brenda Little. I asked her the same questions she agreed with Christian about the new school and being 4A. When I asked her about the new grade merges she said that it would be good for the 5th graders to get a taste of the school they would be in their first year of middle school.

So will the new school and the new grade merges be a good thing or will it just make more traffic and more problems for an already growing town? Many people think it will be a good thing and others think that it will make things worse. The school is set to open the 2020-2021 school year and that is when the grade merges will happen so I guess we will all find out when the new Indian Land High School opens August 2020.