Effects of Eating Food in Class

Jared West, Staff Writer

Eating food in class has many effects on students, and different teachers have different rules and regulations on it.  

Many students this year are eating food while in class. Some teachers allow it, where others don’t. However, there are both positives and negatives to eating in class. Why students would eat in class could be for several reasons, but many eat food during class because they do not eat breakfast. Others eat to keep themselves occupied. Some students just eat because they need to make it through the day.

Many students choose to eat in class, with many of them eating popcorn bought from the cafeteria.  (Pexels.com free stock photos)

Everyone should be able to eat lunch and eat breakfast.

With a wide array of teachers, there are varying rules and regulations on eating in class. Some will allow students the opportunity, while others don’t. “Since students have later lunches or don’t eat breakfast, so eating in class can help them get rid of their hunger so they’re not distracted by the physiological need,” expressed Ms. Walden. She lets her students eat in class, as she also says that school is required, so breakfasts and food provided should be mandatory as well. Additionally, she added that breakfast should be easier to access as “everyone should be able to eat lunch and eat breakfast regardless of income.”

“One reason is fruit flies and flies, and another reason is because students leave wrappers all over the place,” said Mr. Hodge. He has a firm stance against eating food in class because he has experienced flies and has had to clean up wrappers. He also mentioned that if a student were to be found eating in his class they would usually get detention. He suggests that eating mostly anywhere outside of class would be preferable. 

While these teachers have differing views, both are respectable in their own right. The biggest thing to remember is that what the teacher says, goes. As it is their classroom and their rules. 

With many students not eating breakfast, they may not work at their full potential, as everybody needs to eat for their body to function properly. “It is obvious that students need to eat more often during the school day than just lunchtime,” says Michael Murray, in an article by the Community Health Magazine. He also says that “Teachers, coaches, and all others need to realize the importance of this if truly want their students at their best.” 

A problem with eating food in class is that students may leave trash sitting around the classroom. This causes the janitors to spend time cleaning up their mess and it may attract small animals and bugs. Another problem with eating food in class is that students may disrupt the lesson being taught by the teacher. Some students may also have allergies to different types of food. Be careful to avoid these things if you are to eat during class.

Before you eat in class next time, make sure to verify with your teacher that you are allowed, as different teachers have different rules. Also, don’t forget to be hygienic and subtle about it.